A Mary Ann Donze design. Indygo Junction Sashay Skirt a beautiful design, a fun to make if you enjoy a little patchworking.
(Please click on 'larger image' above to see the pattern's variants)
Both views have the same design only the fabric selections are different. This is a great skirt for 'swishing' around in if you know what I mean! The skirt has a timeless appeal and can fit any size of figure. Just measure your hips and determine the number of panels you require.
What's nice about this design is that you do not have to use all the same fabric - you can cut each of the panels in a different fabric if you want to. If you decide to do this you will need an EVEN number of panels to have the skirt finish without two panels of the same fabric being next to each other.
Finished length of the skirt 23 7/8" (60.64 cm)
Guidelines for calculating number of panels you need to cut:
- Use a tape measure to measure around the widest part of your hips.
- Add 1/2" (1.27cm) to 1" (2.54cm) to this measurement for ease and this will be the measurement you use to determine the number of panels needed for your skirt.
Number of panels required for hip measurements;
- 32" (81.3 cm) hips - 8 panels
- 36" (91.5) hips - 9 panels
- 40" (102cm) hips - 10 panels
- 44" (112) hips 11 panels
- 48" (122 cm) hips - 12 panels
- 52" (133cm) hips - 13 panels
If you need to add to or subtract from any of the above please note each panel will add or subtract 4" (10.2cms) using 5/8" (1.58cms) seams.
3/4 yard (approximately 69 cm) of fabric yields the following;
- 44/45" (112cm) wide fabric will yield 3 panels
- 60"(152.4 cm) wide fabric will yield four panels.
Worked example for calculating fabric for 36" (91.5cm) hips using 45/45" (112cm) wide fabric :
- Nine panels are required for this size. (3/4 yard [approx. 69cms] is enough for three panels)
- This means that 3 x 3/4 yards equalling 2.25 yards (3 x 69cm = 2.07 metres) is needed for this skirt.
- Views A and B
- length of 3/4" (1.9cm) elastic to fit the waist.
- View B
- uses beading embellishments